Claes Oldenburg

Claes Oldenburg is a sculptor best known for his sculptures of giant-sized versions of everyday objects. Immediately I recognized his work (particularly the big spoon with the cherry)- I feel like I've done a blog on him before, perhaps? However, the last time I researched him, I was more focused on his giant sculptures instead of his work with fabric. I had no idea he even worked with fabric until the blog assignment mentioned it.

Obviously, Claes plays a lot with shape and scale in his sculptures, but I was drawn to his use of texture and movement in his fabric works. He manipulates the fabric to lay a certain way, giving the sculpted object a prominent texture. This works especially well in his food sculptures, where he lays soft fabric to look like various breads/vegetables/etc. He is very loose with these fabric sculptures, and they almost look like they can be moved and manipulated like puppets.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kehinde Wiley

Emilie Steele

Jan Van Eyck