Independent Studio- 5

In my previous blog post, I wrote about the process of making the head for my Muppet-style "Audrey II" puppet. My plans included making a stem, a pot in which he would be attached to, and various leaves for decoration.

For the stem, I snagged a green shirt from a thrift shop and cut off a sleeve, creating a leaf like pattern around the edges which I added to the sides of the head. I then began working on the pot, using a plastic container as a base. Before embellishing, I modified the container to have a hole in the back/bottom so it could sit comfortably on my arm, giving the illusion to onlookers that I was carrying a flower pot rather than using a puppet. I added soft fleece to the outside of the container to match the rest of the puppet's plush aesthetic. I embellished the pot by adding a base and rim (also with leaves, using leftover foam as a base.) Once that was complete, I made a cardboard platform covered with felt to serve as the "dirt", with a hole in the middle to connect the "stem". Using hot glue, I connected the puppet head/stem and pot together.

I then added embellishments such as leather leaves to complete the look. All in all, I'm very proud of the outcome, especially considering it was my first time working with puppetry. I plan to create more Muppet-inspired pieces in the future using a similar work process. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kehinde Wiley

Emilie Steele

Jan Van Eyck