Art History Article Questions

The art of learning: Why art history might be the most important subject you could study today

http://www.salon.com/2017/01/15/the-art-of-learning-why-art-history-might-be-the-most-important-subject-you-could-study-today/


1. The main point of this article is to explain to readers the importance of art history. In our current day situation, there is a fear that subjects such as art history could receive less funding than other subjects because of how it is viewed as less important. However, studying the history of art has much value as it gives scholars a new perspective on viewing the world. The author of this article explains how this knowledge gives people more consciousness of their surroundings, such as society and the media. It gives them a higher awareness about certain roles in society and how women are portrayed in the media.

2. I agree that art history is a vital subject to learn. It disappoints me greatly how it is viewed as less important than some other subjects, for I disagree greatly. Researching the history of art has taught me to think more creatively. In the first class of Fine Art, we viewed a small stone statue of a woman. Our class debated over the purpose of the piece, what it resembled, and how it connects to modern day society. It was an interesting experience, and I walked out of class that day with a fresh perspective and an appreciation for older art.

3. There is very little that I disagree with in this article. I believe that art history is an extremely important subject to study- one that helps expand your way of thinking and open up new possibilities. The only thing I really disagreed with when I read this was how the author referenced the view of art history as a subject. I don't agree with people who believe that humanities are less important than other subjects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kehinde Wiley

Emilie Steele

Jan Van Eyck